Hey everyone, I just wanted to have my updated hair regimen in one place!
Wash Day – Once or twice a week:
***SPECIAL NOTE*** I normally part my hair in six sections before washing and conditioning if I am roller setting my hair.
– Pre-treat hair with coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil for one hour or overnight. This protects my hair from the harsh effects of shampoo.
– Clarify hair with clarifying shampoo or neutralizing shampoo 1x. My favorite is Suave Clarifying Shampoo.
– Use moisturizing shampoo– Right now, my favorite is Silk Dreams Go Moist Shampoo.
– Protein Treatment for 20 mins. with plastic cap or I sit under the dryer for 10 mins. with my favorite protein treatment: Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Infusion. I use protein once a week to keep my hair strong, as I am relaxed, color treated and use heat.
– Moisturizing Conditioner for 10 mins. I sometimes do a steaming treatment (apply conditioner, apply hot wet turban on head followed by a plastic cap, then sit under a dryer for 10 mins.). I always follow-up my protein treatment with a moisturizing conditioner. ***Special Note*** I comb my hair with a shower comb while under the flow of water from the shower to detangle my hair before styling. I do not towel dry my hair before roller setting.
– Rinse hair and apply a leave-in conditioner. I mix Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Hair Milk with Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion (for extra hold and curl retention). I normally set my hair in rollers or plait my hair with small rollers on the ends (braid-out style). I sit under a hooded dryer for about 45 mins.
– Apply Silk Dreams PRE oil to new growth. Flat iron new growth only. *** I do not comb through the curls or apply heat to the ends of my hair.
– Massage scalp with Njoy Essentials Long and Healthy Hair Growth Oil.
– Apply a small amount of Silk Dreams Almond Buttercream to length of hair, especially to ends. Tie hair with scarf.
-Seal with Silk Dreams Nourish Oil, sparingly.
Every 3-4 months – Color Day
– Mix approximately 150g of henna with black tea and let sit in bowl overnight before applying to hair in sections. Then apply plastic cap. I normally let this sit in my hair for 2-3 hours or sit under the dryer with it.
– Rinse with the assistance of VO5 conditioner. I do not use shampoo to rinse dye from hair.
– Mix 100-150g of indigo with water+2 teaspoons of iodine-free salt and immediately apply to hair. Apply plastic cap. I do not wait for the indigo to change color before applying to the hair. Rinse with the help of VO5 Conditioner.
Every 5-6 months – Relaxing Day
– Wait at least 4 days after washing hair before relaxer day. The night before relaxer, I apply oil or a grease to my scalp for protection (basing scalp). I also apply conditioner to the previously relaxed hair.
– Apply relaxer to new growth only, smoothing with fingers only.
– Rinse relaxer after processing and immediately apply neutralizing conditioner or protein conditioner. Wait 5 mins, rinse and repeat until hair has no relaxer residue. I find this protein step very beneficial for hair– it gives it volume and body!
– Wash hair with Neutralizing shampoo with color alarm until suds are white. Condition hair with moisturizing conditioner for at least 10 mins.
– Rinse, apply leave-in conditioner and style. Sometimes I relax and color my hair on the same day.
My Favorite Products
- Suave Clarifying Shampoo
- VO5 Clarifying Shampoo
- Mane n’ Tail Original Shampoo
- Silk Dreams Go Moist Shampoo
- Silk Dreams Whip My Hair Cleansing Cream
- Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Infusion
- Joico K-Pak
- Generic Joico K-Pak (Sally Beauty Supply Store)
- Aphogee 2-Minute Keratin Reconstructor
- Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk Moisturizing Conditioner
- Silk Dreams Razzberry Coconut Affair
- Mane n’ Tail Original Conditioner
Detangling, Rinse-out Conditioners
- VO5 Conditioners
- Suave Conditioners
- Silk Dreams Destination Hydration
- Mane n’ Tail Original Conditioner
- Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Hair Milk
- Silk Dreams Wheat Germ Butter Conditioner
- Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion (usually mixed with one of the above leave-in conditioners)
- Silk Dreams Almond Buttercream
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Virgin coconut oil
- Dabur Vatika Hair Oil
- Silk Dreams Nourish Oil
- Silk Dreams Mocha Bling Butter
- Silk Dreams End-tegrity Ends Oil
- Silk Dreams PRE
- Njoy’s Long and Healthy Hair Growth Oil
- Alter Ego Linange Shea Butter Relaxer (The best relaxer on the planet)
- Alter Ego Linange Shea Butter Neutralizing Conditioner
- Karishma Henna – For color
- Godrej Nupur Henna Power with 9 Herbs – for color
- Zenia Pure Indigo Powder (found online)